Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pastors Blog: Stardate 2009

It is hard to believe that Laura and I are actually doing it, we have committed ourselves to moving to Oneonta New York and starting a new church! Doing a church plant feels like a big/scary/exciting (take every emotion and put it in a blender) adventure, especially when we are rookies at this sort of thing, but I know this gut-wrentching conquest is actually the typical experience from following the adventureus Lord of Creation.

As we all know, every good adventure has a logbook, and just like Captain Kirk, I too feel compelled to chronicle my findings and happenings as I encounter new life, but unlike Kirk I will be reporting all this to you, not the Star Fleet Federation; although, if the Federation wishes to help fund this church plant I do accept Federation credits.
On a serious note, I desire this blog to serve as a communication tool to help the new church plant. Here are a few purposes I see with the blog.

1. Church History: this blog will be a step-by-step record of how a new church started. And what a valuable resource this will be for church members to look back on and read. I also hope it might inspire others to church plant and learn from the early successes and failures of the Oneonta church.
2. Missionary Newsletter: for all practical definitions of the word, Laura and I definitly feel like we are doing the work of missionaries. I grew up in churches that finically supported foriegn missionaries, and they always sent the church newletters of their progress. I hope this blog can be accessible to our friends and loved ones who care about my wife and I. May this blog act as a virtual newsletter for us to communicate our progress and share our needs.
3. Valuable Feedback: I welcome all feedback from all peoples. If you have some solid advice or you see something I do not, please post a comment and share with me your thoughts. I have some big descions to make coming up, and I would like my descions to be highly informed and smart sounding.

Also, I am thrilled to finally have something worth blogging about! For years I have wanted to sign up for a blog, but until now I felt I never did anything big enough with my life worth sharing with the world. It would have read something like this: Today, I played Nintendo, worked at Wal-Mart, went to church, and now I am going to ramble a few pages about politics...I think the interent has plenty of these blogs.
I will try to stay current with this thing, and I pray some good will come out of it and I hope it is not a time-waster. Please, feel free to contact me, and thank you for adventureing with me on the first steps of this incredible God journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment